How to monitor a file on a remote machine?
Created on 2003-08-07 by Michael Meckelein.
By default, MonitorWare Agent service uses the local system account. This account has no permission on remote machines. If you want to monitor a file on a remote system, the MonitorWare Agent service must log on as a user with administrator rights. This user must be exist on both system, local and remote. Also be sure, that the password is equal on all machines or – preferrably – use a domain account.
Here are the steps for monitoring a file on a remote machine:
- Add a File Monitor service
- Use an UNC name for ‘File and path name’, e.g. \\remotemachine\share\filename.log
- Go to administrative tools -> Services
- Right click on AdisconMonitorWareAgent and select properties
- Select the ‘Log On’ tab and check Log on as: ‘This account’
- Enter a user with admin rights, this user must still exit on the remote machine!